Re: [OM] Geocoding [was B&H Photo]

Subject: Re: [OM] Geocoding [was B&H Photo]
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 11:36:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     There is nothing more reliable than a printed USGS topo and a GPS
receiver.  I can upload maps into my Garmin, but the resolution is awful.
Since the topos have UTM ticks along the edges as well as lat/long, I have
everything I need.  But, I also carry a decent surveyer's compass.

>Funny that we should be talking this. I've been looking for a new
>handheld GPS. My old eTrex has button issues and has no usable map
>display. I'm looking at the new Garmins and some even have built-in
>cameras.
>
>While the cellphones have built-in everything and my old Note-3
>actually does a reasonable job of GPS work off-grid, the problem is
>battery life and the fact the maps can disappear on you when you need
>them most. It's just not good enough of a solution for being in Alaska
>away from the cell network. I've tried and used numerous map/hiking
>software solutions with topos and everything, but when you hide is on
>the line, it just isn't the right tool for the job. Dedicated devices
>that do GPS mapping as their primary function are definitely prefered.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson