Re: [OM] Scans R Us

Subject: Re: [OM] Scans R Us
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 09:30:24 +0800
For slides 5000ED is not a good solution in terms of quality and speed, to me the flare issue is very critical. If you have to use camera copy use a Sony A7II or A7RII, it cover the D-range of most slides in a single shot without the need to worry about exposure adjustment. Just do the exposure in post processing (RAW conversion). For darker slides pushing the shadow with the Sony gives better result than the Canon.

I just re-scan 2000 slides with my new A7 II, the copy speed is 2-3 slides a minute including a quick dusting. Process them in RawTherapee is much easier than other tools. I had a hard time to adjust my 5D II slide copies with Canon DPP.

I found most of my slides had some fading, correcting them in RAW convertor is easier than using PS on a scanner made TIFF file.

C.H.Ling