Re: [OM] Test Driving

Subject: Re: [OM] Test Driving
From: Jan Steinman via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:25:58 -0700
Cc: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 3/15/2018 7:57 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
>>      I sorely miss the cable release feature of film cameras.
>
> The E-M1 II has gone to... a 2.5 mm, 3 connection remote
> release. With any luck just like the ones many others use. Posts on the web
> say Canon ones for the Rebels, etc. and
> generics work fine.

I can verify that. It’s a very simple three terminal connection, where pushing
half-way shorts the first two contacts, and pushing all the way shorts all
three together. (Thank you, Olympus, for following a standard for a change!)

I am trying to convert a gunstock camera support for digital use. The durned
thing used a mechanical shutter release embedded in the stock, with a nice
plastic button over it.

I went crazy looking through The Usual Suspects(TM) like Digikey, All
Electronics, etc., trying to find a standard switch that had the same behaviour
as the standard Canon 3-pin remote shutter release. No luck. The best I could
come up with would be bolting a 99 cent Chinese wired remote to the gunstock
behind the button hole where the mechanical shutter release cable came out.
Ugly and in the way of your trigger hand.

Project went Back On The Shelf(TM) until I get the ambition and time to fab a
few bits of phosphor bronze and insulators, mill out a spot on the stock for
them, and put some sort of cover over it. Or maybe I’ll just open a 99 cent
Chinese remote, steal the bits out of it, and figure out how to embed them in
the rifle stock.

Either that, or just hook it up to an Arduino. :-)

Jan