Re: [OM] Unintentional Vignetting

Subject: Re: [OM] Unintentional Vignetting
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 23:05:21 +0000
I use the cheapest circular rubber hood with, or without, a step-up ring which generates no vignetting with the fixed focal length lens in question. When used with a zoom lens I ensure that there is no vignetting at the widest angle of zoom.

For example: The Fujifilm 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 lenses are both 62mm filter threads. I use a 62mm to 77mm step up ring to mount a wide angle 77mm rubber hood which generates no vignetting with either lens. The 56mm lens comes with a dedicated circular push and twist on hood which I ignore. The 23mm comes with a dedicated tulip shaped hood which generates  vignetting if the hood is not rotated properly in place. This 23mm vignetting problem is a pain in the donkey. The hood on the 62mm to 77mm step up ring does not work on the Fujifilm 16mm-55mm/ 2.8 zoom [a 77mm thread] at any wider than 23mm. The zoom's dedicated tulip shaped hood has the same vignetting problem as the 23mm when not rotated properly into place.

I have a hard time thinking that train window glass per se can generate a vignetting problem. Your thru the window snowscape image shows almost equal lighting degradation at all four corners which tells me that something physical, like a lens hood, prevented all of the necessary light from reaching the camera's sensor.

Is the entire inner surface of the lens hood an equal degree of matt blackness / smoothness absent which incoming light might be distorted before passing through the lens. I did read about that issue several years ago in response to a question about lighting tricks playing by the inner surfaces of lens hoods!

jh