Re: [OM] Unintentional Vignetting

Subject: Re: [OM] Unintentional Vignetting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:04:46 -0700
On 3/14/2018 12:39 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

I'm running into a problem with some of the photos that I took from
train windows in Sweden.  I didn't notice it so much in Norway and I'm not
sure why it would be different in Sweden, but most of the photos taken
through the train window show a lot of vignetting:

http://www.pbase.com/image/167141413

I can get only around it by cropping a lot.  Any lightening that I try to
do just makes it look uneven.

The vignetting is relatively easy to correct. In LR, Lens
Correction=>Manual=>Vignetting=>Amount=100, Midpoint=0.

PTLens goes a little further with vignetting, but the real problem is the smudges. Perhaps the fluid dynamics of air rushing past the window frames, something, anyway, is distributing schmutz in some areas away from center, and very unevenly.

It's not terribly difficult to clean up in PS.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/VignSch.htm>

The first steps go quickly, but dodging takes time.

It is not dependent on the camera or lens.
I get the same thing with the M240 and 35/2.

The smudges are pretty clearly something on the outside of the windows. The vignetting something to do with angle. Could be nothing more than the larger amount of tinted glass to go through as the angle increases.

Any ideas?

Yes. They won't allow the windows to open so no one freezes to death. ;-)

Auntie Schmutz Moose