[OM] Variable ND filters[Was : Re: Nathan's PAD 21/2/2018: two facets of

Subject: [OM] Variable ND filters[Was : Re: Nathan's PAD 21/2/2018: two facets of a long day in Bulgaria
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 21:01:01 +0000
On 2018-03-14 6:48 PM, Moose wrote:
On 3/13/2018 1:35 PM, John Hudson wrote:
Are there any opinions about the use of variable neutral density filters,

Of course. Some people hold strong opinions about the use of butter knives.
Very definitely if you came from my home city which was, and most likely still is, the planet's premier source of ultimate quality table cutlery :-)

whether one should use fixed ND filters in preference to the variable type, and the particular brands offering either or both varieties ?

Search engines are your friend. There are reviews and opinion pieces on both those subjects. I recall there was lack of complete agreement about color cast, and perhaps something else?? I don't recall details.

I read all that stuff, and bought a Hoya variable, so it is probably true that it was the apparent sweet spot between quality and cost in my reading of reviews. I also have fixed NDs in a couple of sizes and densities.

You went out and bought a Hoya variable having been prompted only by reading my post ? Good on you :-)