Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/1/2018: why the internet exists

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/1/2018: why the internet exists
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 08:47:51 -0800
> From: Mike Bloor <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> ... a small kitten named Clarissa... liked to sit on top of the monitor,
> where it
> was nice and warm, while I worked. Every hour or
> so though she would climb down and stand on the
> edge of the keyboard. Every single time "www"
> appeared on the screen.

forget the name of the editor, but it was one of those atrocious things with
command mode and entry mode, and in command mode, every keystroke did something
potentially dangerous.

My wife at the time was working on her dissertation, and went away for a cup of
coffee, leaving the cat on top of the monitor. When she got back, all the work
she’d done all day was GONE! Just a blank screen with “A:> “ staring at her.
(Yup, this was even before the days when most DOS prompts said “C:> ”.)

Then she looked at her floppy, and there was a strange file called
GGGGGGGG.GGG. She looked at it, and found that her cat had thoughtfully saved
her morning’s work for her!

:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::