Re: [OM] A few more from Bhutan

Subject: Re: [OM] A few more from Bhutan
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 22:45:33 -0800
. . .  One of the first thing I learned in PP from Moose when joined the list is not to
limit adjustment to actions that improve the image.  Had I "over boosted" the
shadows before LCE the shadows would have been better.

I would have phrased it ". . . is not to limit adjustment to actions that IMMEDIATELY improve the image. As you say, some pay off later in the process. Getting the image ready for LCE is an important example

Layered localized LCE may have worked better too but more time consuming.

I was thinking about the dislike so many express about the adobe subscription model the last couple of days. I wonder if some if it is a feeling that Adobe is just sitting back, milking the cash cow. Actually, there are constant improvements and regular updates, both for significant and small things.

The reason I was thinking about that is a new function under the Select Menu heading, "[Select] Subject".  A wildly ambitious idea I've been trying out, even on images where I know it will fail, because I feel knowing HOW and WHERE it will fail is useful.

Here's what it does with your little monk.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Badminton.htm>

Not perfect, but pretty good, and little clean-up needed. Not bad for one click selection. My experience with new functions in PS is that they improve with later releases, and expect that here, as well.

Not laying claim to perking up the monk and bringing down the background as ideal. I would probably do it differently from scratch. It's there to illustrate how the mask has worked. Not sure I've mentioned changing background to help subject stand out without going crazy with the processing of the subject. It can be quite effective. Quite common in the images I show.

The images start out more neutral from ACR.

Why the switch? I've also found that I like the overall color, etc. look of default images out of ACR better than DxO. I really only use it for real WA.

Have a great trip to Bangkok --have a reasonable image of Moose and Carol in a
long-tailed boat that begs to be processed.

Yikes! (Bated breath)

I've been maintaining discipline about getting further along with Bhutan before
doing Bangkok.

Hasn't kept me from other projects and processing, I'm afraid. But there will
be a new batch from Bhutan soon.

Over Processed Moose