[OM] OT] Anchorage airport

Subject: [OM] OT] Anchorage airport
From: brian gray via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 12:29:09 +0000
Cc: brian gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Ken wrote

<For the aviation geeks among us (looking at you, Jim), the entire
Anchorage bowl is airplane heaven. Stevens International Airport
averages a flight operation every two minutes, 24 hours a day. They
can turn around cargo 747s as fast as the brakes cool. It almost takes
longer to cool the wheels than it does to refuel and change crews.>
My recollections of  that in November 1967 was of being let off our aircraft (707
and DC8) for an hour on a flight to/from Tokyo from/to Europe while they refuelled.
A very dry&  cold interlude during very long transpolar flights with views of
the aurora en-route.  Should have some pictures somewhere but it was long before my
OM days. During the long descent into Anchorage, I recollect wondering how as a
passenger one could judge ones height over the terrain. I believe those flights
were some of the last to rely on navigation by the stars.
Brian Gray