[OM] Many Happy Returns? [was Hocus Focus {Turtle Alert!} {Workshop Clut

Subject: [OM] Many Happy Returns? [was Hocus Focus {Turtle Alert!} {Workshop Clutter Alert!}]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 14:55:52 -0800
On 2018-01-14, at 03:16,Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Those with good memories for trivia may recall my meanderings about photos with
soft focus, aberrant focus, etc. and the
lenses and filters to make them.
Moose, you’re brilliant! You just created a market for the Fotodiox focal reducer I bought through
Shamazon, which I returned, for which they never refunded my money. (“Third-party merchants are not
covered by Amazon’s return policy.”)

Advantage eBay?

I bought a lens listed as Canon 58/1.2, but with no photo of the front ring. What I got was a Canon 55/1.2, the later replacement for the 58 mm. When asked, the extremely laconic seller replied that they are the same lens. After I sent links to show they are indeed different, in rendering and optical formula, he apologized, agreed to a return and I got a prepaid return label from eBay.

The return was received six days ago; no refund as yet. eBay saith:

"Good news, the item was delivered back to the seller
You should receive the refund by Jan 17, 2018. Everything looks fine, but if there's a problem, come back to this page on Jan 17, 2018 and you will be able to ask us to step in and help."

I'd never thought of the rain forest seller as a poorer place to by third party
stuff, but it may be so.

In the meantime, I bought a real 58/1.2 from Japan, in better condition, for a bit more dosh. I considered the OMZ 55/1.2, but it's actually a much later design, and I was looking for the characteristics of old designs and materials.

Old glass can be a funny business. I have a 1961 design Nikkor Q 200/4 which is an excellent lens, better than my OMZ 200/4 and 200/5. OTOH, I also have a 200/3.5 Alpex, almost certainly a newer, but cheaper, design and make, that is quite nicely crummy, nice glow, wide open. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20810>

Advantaged Moose