Re: [OM] Turnabout - or - Creation of an Image [was Few more from Bhutan

Subject: Re: [OM] Turnabout - or - Creation of an Image [was Few more from Bhutan]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 22:01:24 -0800
On 1/7/2018 11:22 PM, Nicholas Travers wrote:
Sweet, thanks for the video Moose.
Very penetrating sound.  Would love to participate.  I'll have to go look
for a fuller soundtrack.

I imagine there are lots of recording of Tibetan horns, which I think are the
same.

  remind me, was this a specific dance/festival?

There are lots of festivals in Bhutan. They are religious rituals, and generally happen in the inner courtyards of Dzongs (fortresses) or the courtyards of temples. The dances tell stories from the Bhutanese Buddhist traditions. The Yak Dance here makes me think that some older, indigenous stories have been absorbed, as well. There are often rituals with Lamas starting them off.

Some are fairly famous with tourists and occur on a fairly regular schedule. I say "fairly", as astrology plays a part. The one near Jakar, where pilgrims run between flaming pyres, was delayed a day for astrological reasons. That one had a particularly interesting, lengthy and obscure ritual before the running. You may see some of it if I put up videos.

Some festivals aren't on any public calendar. Our great leader, Robin, scans the internet, and picked up word of one in Paro Dzong our second day that was not announced beyond locals. The day we arrived, there were rehearsal and/or auditions for the next day within the central temple that we got to see. There are a handful of images from that in my gallery. For a perfectly good reason, I attended that festival with Robin, rather than hike up to the Tiger's Nest Monastery. I was happy with my choice. I think Robin and I and one other guy were the only tourists there.

The men you see in my photos dancing in a field are practicing for the next
day's Jakar festival.

The further East you go, the fewer tourists at them. This one was not only as far East as you can go, but specially arranged, just for us and some locals, not announced to the general public. Also, hard to get to. Much as described here, although with some differences, which I think is often the case with suchthings. <http://www.rainbowphototours.com/itinerary1sXCountry/rainbowtoursDay14s.html>

After the dances, some of the women were selling their colorful jackets. The only one Carol would have liked was snagged by another woman first, but she did get a yak hair hat. You'll see the women's clothing soon in my posts.

The horns in this particular festival were blown by young monks, who tired easily, so they were mostly only during the beginning of each performance.

Travelin' Moose