Re: [OM] Olympus Viewer Three

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Viewer Three
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:57:51 -0800
On 12/29/2017 11:51 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
So ... ignoring the processing/adjustment aspects and focusing only on the
raw conversion capabilities ...

I have trouble with that idea. Where is the line? The Raw conversion must make some assumptions that are not in the Raw data. What brightnesses of red and green are to be assigned to the pixel from this blue sensel? Those demosaicing choices are pure conversion. What about the choice of gamma curve?

how do you think it measures up to, say,
DXO or LR conversions ?  I'm not interested in the image processing tools,
just the conversion (say, to a TIFF.)

OK, I'm doing Raw conversion in ACR. Some of the cloud areas are blown. I pull down the Highlights slider until the view and/or histogram look good. Then I output a TIFF or go on into PS. Was that Raw conversion, or processing?

This is an important intellectual question. If it's processing, then ACR/LR aren't much better than Viewer 3. If it's Raw conversion, they are WAY better than V3 in recovering highlights. Non-intellectually, who cares? V3 sux at highlight recovery. Saturday night, if it doesn't have a date, it stays home and blows highlights.

Sometimes, it just overly compresses highlights by default, so one can't see the tonal detail. If not averse to a little processing in one's Raw conversion, adjusting the curve can bring them back. Unfortunately, here are plenty of times where they are just gone.

For the WA µ4/3 photographer*, V3 does the same thing as ACR/LR, cropping away lots of AoV in the process of correcting the linear distortion intentionally built into the lenses. For that, DxO is hands down winner.

For your main question, but allowing simple adjustments in the process of conversion to TIFF, I've always preferred ACR/LR. For WA 4/3 & µ4/3 lenses, It's DxO. I've tried Viewer many times over the years, sometimes thinking to get those famous Oly colors to pass on to PS for real editing, but it just never has floated my boat. Maybe I just like Adobe's ideas of colors better.

Not One Answer Moose

* I don't know about 4/3.