Re: [OM] IMG: Testing times

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Testing times
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:18:11 -0800
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 12/10/2017 8:51 AM, JOHN DUGGAN wrote:
>> . . . My diagnosis was correct...after 6yrs the Hard Drive was toast.
>
> I do my image back-ups by hand. The HD for images in my computer accumulates
> endless hours, but the external back-up only a handful

These things have a static lifetime, as well as a dynamic lifetime.

After a while, the lubricant in the bearings gets stiff, and the volatile
fractions that left the lubricant to make it stiff end up precipitating on the
platters. So the drive won’t start, and after a lot of manual rotation, it does
start, it doesn’t read.

I’ve had drives marked “WORKING WHEN REMOVED FROM SERVICE, 19??-??-??” not
“wake up” again after being stored for a dozen years or so.

So, you need to periodically backup your hardware, too!

I’d think an external SSD would be a better choice for long-term backups, but
they’re too new to have proved themselves.

I can vouch that some brands of 20-year-old CD-ROMs read as good as the day
they were written, while others, not. :-(

:::: My grandfather's teachings are very simple... Each person, for instance,
should ask himself or herself four questions that can serve as guides: Am I
happy in what I'm doing? Is what I'm doing going to add to the confusion in the
world? What am I doing to bring about peace and contentment? And how will I be
remembered when I'm gone?... All of us come to this Earthwalk as 'I am,' to
learn how to become 'we are.' In doing this we are concerned seven generations
into the future. -- Twylah Nitsch <http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Twylah+Nitsch>
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::