Re: [OM] IMG: Testing times

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Testing times
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:10:20 -0800
> From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I wouldn't trust any drive for 3 minutes never mind 3 years

DRIVE? I don’t trust USERS! Especially myself.

I’m currently crawling through stacks of CDs I’ve burned, trying to recover
hi-rez scans. About a third of them were put on very cheap CDs, 80% of which
will no longer read.

The problem happened when I was routinely clearing up some disk space. I ran
some program that went through and identified my biggest files that hadn’t been
touched in a while. That included my Aperture library, which appears to Mac OS
as a single file, but which is actually a hierarchy of folders. Apparently, no
matter how busy your Aperture library is, it doesn’t change the “modified”
timestamp on the top level folder.

So “PLUNK,” I trashed it. And then, of course, emptied the trash, since I
needed the disk space to... you guessed it: to store more images in the now
non-existent Aperture library.

So USERS -- especially the one staring at you in the mirror in the morning --
are a bigger reason for backups than faulty technology. THEN you can blame the
technology when the bargain CD-ROMs you bought 20 years ago no longer work.

That’s okay. I have the slides as the ultimate backup, right? Except a good
portion of those were shot on cheap film, and they’ve faded. (My Kodachromes
look as good as the day they came back from the lab.) So now I have a good
excuse to frankenstein a bellows and slide copier together.

In retrospect, I’ve never once thought, “Gee, I wish I’d shot that on cheaper
film.” Now I’m saying, “Gee, I wish I’d backed up those priceless photos on
cheaper CDs…” NOT!

:::: My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there
are three other people. -- Orson Welles <http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Orson+Welles>
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::