Re: [OM] B&W printing

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W printing
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 21:17:47 -0800
Mike:  We didn't stay in Prairie City. Even 11 months before the eclipse, the only reservations we could get were in Burns, 80 miles south and out of the totality band.  So the night before, we got up at 3am and drove up to Prairie City.  We expected awful traffic, which didn't materialize. So we pulled into town about 5am, and some nice ladies from the local church gave us some tea. They were setting up for a community breakfast, which we happily partook of at 7am when it opened. Eggs, fried potatoes, pancakes, sausage, for 8 or 9 bucks a head, IIRC.  People were very friendly and nice.  Once the eclipse was over, we headed out of town, and that's when we got the horrendous traffic.  It took about an hour and a quarter to go the 13 miles between PC and John Day.  People were sitting on their porches watching the traffic, drinking soda or beer and waving.  I don't think they'd ever seen anything like it before.  In John Day, there were National Guard troops in camouflage fatigues directing traffic.

So I regret to say that we didn't experience local lodgings or cuisine.  I must say that I found Prairie City much more friendly than John Day. John Day is at the junction of two main highways, is quite a bit more built up. They seemed mostly interested in how many tourist dollars they could milk, while they were simultaneously irritated at all the people coming through for the eclipse.  The previous remark is based on couple of gas station attendants, and a chat with a fellow at the JD Chamber of Commerce The latter seemed mostly interested in getting us out of our motel in Burns, recommending that we sleep in our car in a campsite in JD.  Now, my sample may be too small, these little towns had never dealt with so many people, and the traffic had been hyped to the point of hysteria.  But the Chamber of Commerce guy really annoyed me.

That said, there are a lot more places to stay in John Day. We didn't investigate restaurants as we wanted to get out of Dodge as soon as we could.  The country is high desert, lots of sagebrush, and some high dry hills around the towns.  There are some nice canyons to explore north and south of JD.  Altitude varies, and when you go up or into a canyon, more things grow. On the parts of US 26 we saw, things were dry.  Painted Hills National Monument is an hour or so west of JD, and has interesting colors and formations.

Hope this helps!
--Peter