Re: [OM] OT: Bimmer tire conundrum

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Bimmer tire conundrum
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 15:10:44 -0900
No clue yet, Mike. I haven't accepted the fact that my RFTs on my 2012
X5 will need to be replaced with something slightly more "toothy" for
living here where they don't bother plowing most of the time.

Mine are 255/50R19.

The Bridgestone Blizzak tires are probably the most popular up here.

AG

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Mike Gordon via olympus
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not sure there is anything really OT anymore but:
>
> The run -flat tires (RFT) on the 328 x-drive are getting old in more ways
> than one.  They are expensive and are bone rattling when going over New Eng
> potholes and quite poor on snow.  They do corner impressively well on dry
> roads.  OEM tires which have been replaced at least once  (225 45 R17 91H)
> are the ContiPro Contact SSR getting mebbe 25K out them if lucky.  They have
> to have very stiff sidewalls in order to run flat and lead to the obvious
> drawbacks.  I have needed the run flat once when it was 0 deg F out at 8:30
> PM leaving work and was glad to have it. There are no spares of any sort of
> course which is why the OEM are RFT.
>
> https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiProContact+SSR&partnum=245HR7CPCSSR
>
> I ran across the below linked Bridgetone Driveguard RFT as replacements--less
> surface area on the road but  as in lenses there are always compromises.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/yd6zmgza
>
> I  would even considerusing non RFT and carry a pump and some water soluble
> leak goo but didn't run into anything that was that much better but did not
> search exhaustively..  Don't really want to have to put on dedicated snows if
> at all possible.
>

> Any comments appreciated.
>
> Tired of chewing up tires, Mike
>

> --