Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/8/2017: the Muchavista market

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/8/2017: the Muchavista market
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 09:08:49 -0400
That's why we grow all of our own vegetables.

The greenish tomatoes look like heirlooms and the red ones look like they
were ripened on the vine - two things that are not common in most grocery
store tomatoes.  Even the farmer's market a mile away seems to grow
tomatoes that they can pick green and ripen artificially and those that
store and ship well.  That's why they have no taste!!  Our tomatoes are all
heirlooms and they are not picked until they are ripe and warm from the
sun.  There is nothing like them.

Love your market photos!

Tina

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> While I am not able to bike this week, I can still drive, so yesterday we
> went to a fruit-and-veg market in El Campello, less than 5 km from our
> home. It is held every Thursday and Sunday, and it is totally non-posh—just
> a few stands in a large parking lot. Most of the produce is locally grown,
> and while it does not always look supermarket-perfect, it tastes better and
> is far cheaper than the plastic-wrapped variety. Four images follow.
>
> One of the bigger stands:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-PWdbLBB/A
>
> Tomatoes and pears. After ten years in Spain, when I travel to other
> countries and eat tomatoes there, what strikes me is that they do not smell
> like tomatoes at all! Not even in California.
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-4V64bwC/A
>
> Green and leafy, plus some carrots:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-xWB3nCN/A
>
> There are also some non-food stands, like this one, selling fake Barcelona
> football shirts:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-pTJKTWN/A
> The real thing costs at least 10 times as much as this.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain