Re: [OM] virus & malware protection

Subject: Re: [OM] virus & malware protection
From: "tOM Trottier" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:10:08 -0400
Stay away from it. I just use Windows' own "Defender" and every week or so run
scans using
malwarebytes and Spybot. Search for them. They have been around for years and
trustworthy.
Their full products cost money and have realtime scanning.

I have used AVG and Avira antivirus with W7, also trustworthy, but realtime
products open more
attack surfaces because they have to have deep links in the OS. Windows
Defender is safer and
free. It took 30 years, but MS is finally doing it right.

On 4 Aug 2017 at 11:04 re:"Re: [OM] virus & malware protection..."
     Piers Hemy(Piers Hemy <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>) wrote:

> John, John, that isn't an "article" in the sense of a piece of
> independent journalism, and it isn't "freeware" in the sense of free
> software which can perform useful functions. Read the small print at
> the footer:

> promotion for a FREE Scanguard security scan using their advanted
> antimalware engines, in order to use the advanced features you must
> upgrade to a premium plan.
>
> You can review Scanguard's terms & conditions by clicking here or
> contact them by clicking here.
>
> THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT AND NOT AN ACTUAL NEWS ARTICLE, BLOG, OR
> CONSUMER PROTECTION UPDATE.

> Emphasis as in original!
>
> Why would you want to trust an unknown piece of demoware, which we can
> assume will inevitably diagnose huge security risks on your PC as a
> bait to buy into the paid-for "premium plan", when there are som many
> alternatives available, independently reviewed and assessed over many
> years, many at nil cost?
>
> No, I have never heard of this software, nor its producer, which in
> itself is a warning flag for me. If you insist, I will look for a
> suitable bargepole with which you could touch it!
>
> Piers

"Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work." -- Naomi Bloom
“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” —
Albert Einstein

  _~o           "It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the
 _-\<,_         contours of a country best,
(_)/ (_)        since you have to sweat up the hills
    and coast down them. " ~ Ernest Hemingway
“Don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades.”—Eddy Merckx.
   tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633 tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Skype:Abacurial
   http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com Twitter Facebook
P Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel?/Do you really need to print
this email?