Re: [OM] Staged Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Staged Photos
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 14:57:49 -0500
That's a good analysis. They lack the humanity, the sincerity, the emotion
of a Manley. And what he constantly portrays as "Rural America" really
looks like "Really up in the hills Appalachia".

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I see precisely what you mean, his images are ... repetitive. I had only
> > seen the one previously, but now seeing the sequence .... yawn!
>
> There is another problem I see in his work, that adds to the
> repetitiveness. There is an attempt to tell a story in the images,
> like any good painting or artwork would do, but the evidence is that
> he doesn't actually understand his subjects. Take that one photograph
> where the girl is sitting inside the building that has the hole in the
> floor. First of all, the place is far too clean. Secondly, whatever
> message he's trying to convey is lost by technique overriding the
> narrative.
>
> Or the picture with the taxi cab. Really? Since when do taxi cabs drop
> people off in the middle of a sleepy holler like that? She would have
> had to pay $150 to get there. All the pictures have a characteristic
> where they just don't pass the logic smell test. The only picture I
> really find fascinating is the stoplight scene. But my fascination
> with it is more about the Photoshopping than the picture itself.
>
> His work reminds me of a Thomas Kinkade painting without the artistic
> merit.
>
> AG
> --

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Anchor, Amateur Radio Newsline
www.ARnewsline.org <http://www.arnewsline.org>
Certified Music Junkie

"The Fountain of Youth is a state of mind" -- The Ides of March, "Age
Before Beauty"