Re: [OM] Staged Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Staged Photos
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 14:52:42 -0500
> I see precisely what you mean, his images are ... repetitive. I had only
> seen the one previously, but now seeing the sequence .... yawn!

There is another problem I see in his work, that adds to the
repetitiveness. There is an attempt to tell a story in the images,
like any good painting or artwork would do, but the evidence is that
he doesn't actually understand his subjects. Take that one photograph
where the girl is sitting inside the building that has the hole in the
floor. First of all, the place is far too clean. Secondly, whatever
message he's trying to convey is lost by technique overriding the
narrative.

Or the picture with the taxi cab. Really? Since when do taxi cabs drop
people off in the middle of a sleepy holler like that? She would have
had to pay $150 to get there. All the pictures have a characteristic
where they just don't pass the logic smell test. The only picture I
really find fascinating is the stoplight scene. But my fascination
with it is more about the Photoshopping than the picture itself.

His work reminds me of a Thomas Kinkade painting without the artistic merit.

AG