[OM] OT: A Close Call

Subject: [OM] OT: A Close Call
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:27:41 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     This morning at the coffee shop I was casually browsing when the wifi
connection became intermitent.  This happened repeatedly, se we rebboted the
wifi hub.  Things were stable for a while, but then it acted up again.  When I
went to close a tab on Firefox I got a very peculiar warning in the form of a
large red rectangle telling me that I could not close the tab because the page
was not fully downloaded, and giving me three options.  I quickly closed the
entire browser, updated the antivirus and spyware, and then disabled the wifi
adapter.

     Then I did an in-depth antivirus scan, and fortunately nothing was found.
While that was going on I located the hacker in an adjacent room and invited
him to leave, which he did.  A later spyware scan in safe mode also found
nothing.

     There had been a warning on the morning news about a new form of hacking,
where the wifi hub is spoofed and you're connected to the hacker.  Cute.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson