Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Cars In Movies

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Cars In Movies
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 15:17:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Indeed. To bad quality control was not one of their innovations.
>
>A Jewish uncle of my wife swore never to buy a German car, but still said
>"The French design great cars, but the Germans should build them." ;-).
>

>>      They were great innovators with front wheel drive, aluminum block
>> engines, progressively collapsing bodies, etc.

     My dad said the same thing about buying a German car because of WWII,
right up to the day the 1962 Studebaker was dying.  People where he worked told
him to look at the VW beetle, so he went out reluctantly one day and did.  Next
thing we knew he returned with a bright red one, smiling from ear to ear saying
"It's the most fun I've had driving since my Model T".  I later drove it to
Texas when I went into the Air Force, and a year later traded it in for a used
Audi 100LS, which to this day is still the best car I ever drove.  It would go
95MPH without floating the valves.

     Auto Union (aka Audi) was also a great innovator.  They devised the
"negative steering radius", which allowed you to have a front wheel blowout
without ripping the steering wheel out of your hands.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson
ect: Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Cars In Movies,