Re: [OM] Lensbaby Velvet

Subject: Re: [OM] Lensbaby Velvet
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:28:00 -0700
On 6/21/2017 2:40 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
Thanks for the background to Nikkor Soft filters and soft focus lenses, Moose,
'twas news to me. I knew of a Tamron soft focus lens, and I do have a Zeiss
Softar which I believe is an equivalent, but had no idea Nikon was in that
market too. Chris, you are welcome to give the Softar a try if you are
interested. It's somewhat more compact that the LenBaby!

The Softar and the similar/same B&W are not equivalent to the Nikkor Softs; different design, different results. I also have a Hoya softener(A) in 49 mm that uses the same idea, random little "raindrops" or mild + lenses, scattered across the surface. I believe all filters of this design are molded plastic.

The problem with them is "Swiss cheese" bokeh. Here's a good example. <https://www.flickr.com/photos/100yearstolive/9580012591>

If you looked at the examples in the Nikon article, you'll see how different
they are.

No Drops Moose