[OM] OT: Paypal Dysfunction

Subject: [OM] OT: Paypal Dysfunction
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 11:26:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I just closed my Paypal account.  I had no choice.  I had tried to cancel
a purchase on evilBay, but the seller had bolted and evilBay had pulled the
item, so a claim process could not be initiated.  So, I tried to get the
payment refunded through Paypal.  They showed online that the seller had
accepted the payment, but the Paypal employee in India insisted it was pending.
 They then told me I needed to change my password, so I did.  That caused me to
be locked out of my account.  I managed to get hold of an American employee,
and she fixed the problem in a couple of seconds.  This morning I was locked
out again, and that was enough.

     Paypal has an online verification process that it broken beyond repair.
It will not let you add a new phone number so you can receive and send a text
for verification, and a second method they have has them call you and you punch
in a 4-digit number, then says that you are verified, but then you find that
you really aren't.  The third method requires that you send them an image of
some personal data, like a driver's license, but I'm not sending anybody
anything that can be used for identity theft.

     The problem is basically this:  Paypal used to be a subsidiary of evilBay,
and I guess their IT people (computer dorks) are still under the same roof.
Those IT people are about as dysfunctional as you can possibly imagine,
crippling evilBay time and time again due to incompetent management.  Looks
like they've moved on to crippling Paypal as well for more entertainment.

     I simply cannot trust them with my credit card information, and I don't
have any real driving need to expose myself to institutional incompetence.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson