Re: [OM] Science and Speculation [was "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico"

Subject: Re: [OM] Science and Speculation [was "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" @ AGO in Toronto]
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 21:31:36 -0300

On 2017-06-17 5:54 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
I wasn't going to say that, because I'm not a theoretical physicist either.
<g>

That said, if one actually listens to, reads and ponders such folks as
Brian Cox, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Lisa Randall, Brian Greene and others, one
learns that people who do science, as opposed to people who write about
what scientists do, readily and easily admit that they have no problem with
being proven wrong. If a theory is proved wrong, it's one more step up the
stairway to heaven. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) I have listened to Tyson
say this numerous times. Brian Cox as well.

I think part of scientists' perceived weakness comes from the fact that
science is on the ropes in this country because of the knob-knuckled morons
that make up the Republican majority in Congress, not to mention our
Idiot-in-Chief and a lot of really, really stupid voters. We can't afford
to mince words, nor act like we're at a tea room salon. These idiots are
out to do real harm, and are well on their way to doing it.

For me, with expansion, cosmological constants, Planck units, Big Bangs,
dark energy and dark matter, I go on preponderance of evidence as we
understand it, with the caveat that anything can change at any time.
Galileo got his wrists slapped by the church for postulating that earth
revolves around the sun, but others in far deeper antiquity knew better.
Yes, aether was once debunked until quantum physics got far along to
suggest truth to Bob's Theory that Even Nothing is Something.

I was introduced to Mark Gungor's "Tale of Two Brains" video this evening and I have to conclude that the "Nothing Box" theory unequivocally revokes "..... Bob's Theory that Even Nothing is Something" for men at least.

jh