Re: [OM] Article on Frankensteining OM-System T-10 and T-8 Ring Flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Article on Frankensteining OM-System T-10 and T-8 Ring Flashes
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 01:14:27 -0700
> From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I was interested in transplanting a T Power Control socket to a FL-36 or 50
> flash.

Sounds like a challenge, but mostly a physical one, finding room for the
socket, mounting it, soldering, etc.

> ... shouldn't just disconnecting the flash head and
> replacing it with the socket work?

Probably. You have to be real careful with the trigger wire. It can carry 6,000
volts, greater than the insulation breakdown of common wire. If you use
ordinary wire, and it ends up right next to some other wire or component when
you close up the case, it could arc and fry your flash electronics.

> How should I discharge the transistor? With a resistor?

[cringe] It’s a capacitor that holds the charge. [/cringe]

I would absorb some basic books or classes on electronics theory, first. You’re
dealing with potentially life-threatening energy levels here, perhaps tens of
joules. You only need about 10 milliamps to fibrillate or stop your heart.

If electronics interests you, perhaps there’s a basic course at a local
community college, or perhaps you could join an amateur radio club and take
their license preparation course, which goes into precautions regarding high
energy electronics.

I don’t want to discourage you, but I don’t want you to get hurt, either!

Jan