[OM] IMGs: Tempe Town Lake

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Tempe Town Lake
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 07:05:07 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Some years ago our city council decided to invest in a project that turned
the dry, barren Salt River bed into a recreational lake.  It was originally
designed with an inflatable rubber dam, which ended up bursting when the rubber
deteriorated.  That was repaired for the short term, and a more robust dam was
designed.  The new dam was completed last year.

     The south shore of the lake is a nice setting for upscale business towers
and expensive apartments and condos, as well as our new center for the arts:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/35030242736/in/dateposted-public/

     Immediately behind me is the remains of a homeless camp beneath a tree,
and others are scattered here and there.  Stark contrast with the $2,000+ a
month accomodations across the lake.

     The dam itself is an interesting structure, consisting of eight steel
gates that are hinged at the bottom:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/35030301856/in/dateposted-public/

     The gates are operated by way of hydraulic jackscrew actuators:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34939068411/in/dateposted-public/

     Downstream from the dam, underground seepage serves to irrigate a slowly
growing riparian area:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34226701744/in/dateposted-public/

     Immediately behind the dam is our very artistic pedestrian bridge:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34682937880/in/dateposted-public/

     The lake itself sees a good deal of boating activity, but there are no
areas set aside for swimming.  Instead, it is occasionally used as a repository
for the bodies of murder vistims.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson