Re: [OM] MFT kit conundrum--?PL 8-18

Subject: Re: [OM] MFT kit conundrum--?PL 8-18
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 03:25:15 -0700
Perhaps will need something wide and fast for interiors for future trip.  Any
thoughts on this guy?  It does take filters too and is fairly compact for what
it is.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/panasonic/8-18mm-f2.8-4-asph-leica-dg-vario-elmarit/review/

Perhaps too early to say.

No one seems to know when it might actually ship. (Note: no OIS, so not
suitable for inconspicuous interior use on GM5.)

Super wide is still all about compromises, at least for someone like me, who would use it little. The 9-18 is good for me, tiny, light, and I already own it. As I have moved to panorama stitching for landscapes and such, it has been only for tight spaces and interiors, and so gets little use of late. My use peaked in 2013.

Seems the Oly 12-14 is the class act for speed and IQ, but it would be a shelf queen for me, too big and heavy for a travel kit. The Laowa 7.5/2 is apparently about to be available for pre-order, but when one would actually arrive in anyone's guess. Do you suppose the vignetting is deliberate, so the soft corners won't be so obvious? ;-) Still, for a travel kit for interiors, it might be quite useful.

The Panny 12/1.4 has been mentioned before as well.

This one has the Ctein seal of approval. After a seemingly endless search, many false leads, much maligning of the Oly 12/2.0 (esp. for IR), including trying out my 9-18 @ 12 mm*, he is finally happy with this one.

The 12/1.4 might turn out to be THE lens for narrow streets and such.

One CAN stitch interior shots together as panoramas. I seem to recall some examples, including a restaurant (Philippe?) that looked good. I've tried a couple that came out pretty well. I believe the trick may be to have no perspective distortion, so shoot level or correct in post before stitching. 12 mm has a horiz. AoV of 72° and 8 mm is 95°, so big overlap for the stitching algorithms to work with - or even wider coverage than the 8-18. You may want to try this before deciding on widest angle lens for the trip.

F1.4 and E-M1 II IBIS should be spectacular for dim interiors.

Goggle Eyed Moose

* Better than some primes, but not good enough for him; i.e., pretty darn good
for me.

Undecided, Mike