Re: [OM] IMG: Paris/OECD

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Paris/OECD
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 10:18:22 -0500
Nice tour. Different views of a famous city.

As a Chicago native, the home of the original Ferris Wheel, I find it
interesting how many now pop up all over the world. Mr. Ferris was on to
something when he suggested it to the Fair committee back in 1892(ish).
What amuses me about the one in Paris is that the original Wheel was
Ferris's response to the Eiffel Tower. The previous World's Fair was in
Paris, and the Tower was designed by Eiffel as the entrance to the Fair.

When Chicago won the follow-up Fair, the organizers were struggling to come
up with something to equal, and ideally surpass, Eiffel's Tower. Finally,
George Ferris sketched out his idea for the Wheel and submitted it. They
approved, and the rest is history. My office is one block away from where
it stood (there's a skating rink on the spot now.)

Each car on the Chicago Wheel held 60 passengers, so it was essentially 36
buses hanging in a circle....

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:07 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I spent a couple of days in Paris in late March, attending meetings at the
> OECD. There was a bit of free time at the beginning and end of each day, so
> there are some images of the Eiffel tower and other sights in morning and
> evening/night light. But of the 30 images in this small gallery, 18 are
> from inside the OECD headquarters in the 16th Arrondissement, a place which
> I suspect most of you have not visited. So I hope that you will find
> something new as well as something familiar here:
>
> http://www.frozenlight.eu/paris_march2017/

> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain