Re: [OM] 600/6.5 on OMD [was: 300/5.3 Mirror Lens [was On topic, well, c

Subject: Re: [OM] 600/6.5 on OMD [was: 300/5.3 Mirror Lens [was On topic, well, could be ...]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 20:51:16 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 3/11/2017 3:07 PM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
>> Rather than a second tripod the RRS solution options are better.  Draping a
>> shot filled bean bag over the lens may be the final ingredient required if
>> vibration/movement is the problem.  Using EFCS would also be best.
>>
>> http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release/Multi-Purpose-Rails-Packages/Long-Lens-Support-Packages
>
> That sounds good, and the gear is nice looking, but it flies in the face of
> Gary's extensive practical experience with
> the same lens. I quote again:
>
> "The second test with "lens support" was probably a tripod head resting under
> the front of the lens hood.  It made no
> difference.”

My first thought upon visiting the RRS page was, “added a bit of mass,
increased the lever arm, both of which lower (but not eliminate) the resonant
frequency.” The RRS stuff doesn’t look like damping to me; it just looks like
moving the resonant frequency further from the shutter speed, which has some
merit.

The 600/6.5 is such a beautiful lens, and mine is a pristine example. But I
just might have to give it up.