Re: [OM] OT: High Tech Life

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: High Tech Life
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 20:40:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Then be careful about what machine you put it on.  Seems there's something
about the Dell architecture that Linux doesn't like.  My educated guess is that
Ubuntu was written for a specific architecture, very likely IBM.  Dell is/was a
fierce competitor, and there are undoubtedly distinct differences intended to
keep them from suing each other for infringement.

     I've never heard of a Microsoft product that was platform specific.  With
what I've seen with Linux, you have to give Microsoft credit for handling all
of the differences.  I've gone through DOS3,4,5,6.2, and 7.0 (6.2 was best),
then Win3.1, Win95, Win98/SE, and Win 7.  I only had trouble with Win7, but it
was due to the bozo who installed it and I managed to fix that.  Liked WinXP
best of all, but I do need Win7 for internet access.

     BTW: I'm really impressed with how well these Dell laptops hold up.  I
bought a couple more for spares when I embarked on this Linux project, but now
they'll both have Win7.

Chris