Re: [OM] OT: High Tech Life

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: High Tech Life
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 07:17:45 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     If it did run WinXP/98 software properly I would use it, but it doesn't.
I've had no end of trouble trying to run PageMaker through the XP emulator
under Win7, only to have it blow up in the middle of setting up a document.
Same with Corel Photo-Paint.

     The DOS emulators that came with Win98/SE worked fine, but if you want to
enjoy real speed using the DOS version of OrCAD (schematic capture and PCB
layout) you use Win95.  When you reboot Win95 in DOS you are not using an
emulator, instead you're running right at the processor proper.  Refresh is
instantaneous.  There are a number of designers (myself included) still using
it that way, and we have a Yahoo group.

     The last Microsoft product that was completely backwards compatible was
WinXP.  I can run anything and everything on it.  But I do need to have a
post-XP machine available for internet usage.  Win7 fulfilled that need until
the HD crashed, and trying to use Linux as a replacement was a very serious
waste of time.  When my credit card rolls over this week I'll pick up a Win7
install disk.  It won't work with some of my WinXP/98 software, but it will
fulfill my need for internet access.  It's not a perfect solution, but I can
live with it.

     Full usage (meaning the internal modem) is a key factor in productivity,
and Linux is nothing more than a frustrating experiment.  It is, however, well
suited for 21st century American mentality, where failure is an acceptable
outcome.  We've been heading in that direction ever since Viet Nam.

>On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 08:36:29PM -0800, Moose wrote:
>> I am completely befuddled by both Chris and you ignoring the XP
>option in Win7.
>> IT IS COMPLETELY FREE!
>> IT INSTALLS SIMPLY!
>> IT IS BULLETPROOF!
>> IT RUNS ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING THAT RAN UNDER XP - BECAUSE IT IS XP.
>
>...But I *have*  mentioned Win7 several times in this extended chain of
>threads (and in private) :)

Chris Trask
N7ZWY / WDX3HLB
Senior Member IEEE