Re: [OM] Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 20:27:33 -0800
On 2/16/2017 4:27 PM, Bob Benson wrote:
Moose said:  the PLeica 100-400 lens. I love that lens more than I will
ever love a camera bag.

I'm curious ... if you use on an Oly body, do you rely on the lens I*** or
the body I*** ?

Using that acronym repeatedly is just asking for NSA to send your name to the folks with the black helicopters. It's a shame that those insurgents took the name of the old Egyptian Creation Goddess, but whaddya gonna do?

As to in-lens IS (OIS) vs. in-body IS (IBIS) (notice the unavoidable connection to the Nile?), on my first serious outing, I took a number of duplicate shots of various stuff out in nature. I didn't keep notes as to which was which. When I later pixel peeped, necessarily unbiased, as I didn't know which was which, I couldn't see any difference, so I stopped worrying about it. I've been using the IBIS since, figuring 5-axis is better than 2 axis, esp. as I have had a tendency over the years to rotate the camera around the lens axis as I make spastic stabs at the shutter button, and the 5-axis should help there. As it happens, that's doesn't seem to be a problem with this relatively large, heavy lens.

If one really wants the theoretically best IS for this lens, the lens (and many Panny OIS lenses) coordinates with the IBIS in the GX8 (and 85 etc??) to give the best of both. Howsomever, I don't really know if that might be best, better than E-M5 II IBIS alone.

When I was using E-M5 and GX7 side-by-side, I would rate the Panny 3-axis and Oly 5-axis IBIS systems as a push. When I looked closely at a few 300 mm images where I thought there was a difference, I found it was really a slight difference is the focal plane chosen by AF, with either defensible as good AF, on a 3D subject much deeper than DoF.

But then the E-M5 II came along, with much better IBIS than either of those earlier bodies. What I don't know is whether the GX8 has a similar improvement. Although I've not heard that it does, I've not paid much attention. It got bigger and heavier, to no discernible purpose - AND - Oly added HR Mode and Focus Bracketing, which are a giant leap forward for my photography, so the GX8 became moot.

On the other side, The new Oly lenses with OIS, 300/4 and 12-100/4, also co-ordinate OIS and IBIS, actually extending the range of motion over which X-Y compensation can operate. Either it's slicker than the Panny system, or Oly's video is slicker. :-)
Unfortunately, the two body-lens IS coordination systems are incompatible.

E-M5 II IBIS is amazing - 1/20 sec @ 600 mm eq?
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/E-M5II_IBIS/Robin.htm>

So I'm pretty content. As with the example robin, I have more problems with subject motion than IS in practical use. The E-M1 II is supposed to be even better. I hope to encounter that improvement this fall/winter in an E-M5 III. :-)

Thanks.

Whelks,
   Shellfish Moose