Re: [OM] OT: Car Repairs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Car Repairs
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:22:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Junk yards are tremendous resources for all things mechanical.  There's a
non-profit bike shop in Tucson that is a mecca for myself and others who
restore and maintain older bicycles.  I always come away with a basket of parts
and a wheel or two, then spend weeks carefully cleaning them.

     I had a friend many years ago who owned a 4-door International 1600
pickup.  The guide plate for the gear shift was worn away, and I was one of the
few people who could drive it.  He was forever visiting junk yards looking for
spare parts, and he even had a couple of spare engine blocks.  Last time he
overhauled the engine it took eight of us to install it using an engine hoist
and a floor jack.

>Our 1989 Landcruiser is still going strong.  We get notes on the windshield
>all the time asking to buy it.  The parts now have to come from Japan or a
>junkyard.  The power steering cable went out and we haven't found a
>replacement yet.  Toyota wanted to make one for $200.  Tom said he'd rather
>buy one from a junkyard for $20.  In the meantime, I'm really building up
>my arm muscles driving the thing!!

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson