Re: [OM] OT: Ft. Lauderdale.

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Ft. Lauderdale.
From: "Michael R. Collins" <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 17:53:18 -0500
On 17-01-06 6:36 PM, John Hudson wrote:
Really .......... these mass shootings in the USA are becoming as common as daily football and baseball scores!

You have a gun and violence culture that is frightening.

We here north of the 49th parallel are by no means surprised at these daily outrages.

Pay yor NRA dues and this is what you get.

Anybody with half a brain will avoid the USA. We do !!

jh
A fellow Canadian (and also British-born, though a very young emigrant from there) would like to offer a slightly different perspective. I am much more disheartened than frightened by the US "gun culture", which I believe does not and never will deliver the safety and security that its proponents seem to push. And am in agreement with an apparent minority that the only sensible reading of the Second Amendment is collective / states' right rather than individual rights, in spite of the courts' recent drift towards the latter.

I think the general (but by no means universal) Canadian attitude *is* anti-gun, and thus critical of what we perceive as such an integral part of US culture. However, I hesitate to adopt the superior attitude that I hear so often in my own country. Part of the latter may be anti-Americanism driven by the elephant-and-mouse relationship we have with out southern neighbour. But... we have our own significant problems that require attention, not enough of which we pay.

And I will continue to visit my friends and my favourite places in the US, regardless of any reservations.

Michael

P.S. I wish I could find the author, for attribution, of something I heard long, long ago, and I quote or paraphrase here: "Americans are benignly ignorant of Canada, and Canadians are malevolently informed about the United Status."