Re: [OM] New Laptop needs migration help

Subject: Re: [OM] New Laptop needs migration help
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:30:01 +0000
TBH I wouldn't do it.  Take the opportunity to have a cleanup and reinstall
all the stuff you (she) NEEDS (after uninstalling from the old one where
licenses deem it necessary).

Yes the new one is the same manufacturer and model but it's running a
native Win10 rather than an upgrade and Lenovo will have tweaked it to work
better.  Of course there might be some crapware installed that you'll have
to strip out but importantly, all the correct drivers will be installed.
It may appear to be similar to the old one (but if it is then there's no
need to upgrade!) but there may be significant internal differences due to
the newer generation processor, graphics, etc.

(I had a problem with my hp laptop graphics driver and according to Intel
it was way out of date. But it was 'hard-wired' by hp and couldn't be
updated except in an hp update bundle. When I migrated from Win8.1 to a
generic Win10 the drivers were 'cut loose' and I was able to go around the
system and manually update all the drivers to Win10 compatible.)

cheers
jez