[OM] Pomegranate babies

Subject: [OM] Pomegranate babies
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 19:48:19 +1300

(Sent BCC to several people.)

As anybody who knows me might say, I
like growing plants.

About 6 weeks (or more) ago our local fresh fruit
shop stocked some pomegranates. At quite a price per eaches. (About $5)

Prior to this pomegranates might just as well never existed, since
they had been unknown to me except in literature.

These fruit were
imported from the (semi) United States of America.

As to eating them,
they seemed strange, although my good wife who hails originally from
Northumberland told me they were very commonly eaten there when she was
a child.

I suspect that what I bought had suffered indignities as to
their eating quality, on their long voyage.

Anyway, on reading trusty
Wikipedia I learned more about them including that they bear fruit at an
early age, that they are quite decorative,

that they should cope
(just) with our climate and soils, and are not too difficult to grow
from seed.

So here is the present stage of the first sowing, in humus
in a yoghurt pottle.

They are quite distinctive and I am already thinking what spots in our
old house section might suit them.

Cheers, Brian