Re: [OM] Clock Apps and Legacy Devices

Subject: Re: [OM] Clock Apps and Legacy Devices
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 07:39:54 +0000
There’s nothing quite like analog, Ken. They tried digital displays in
aircraft, but changes were too difficult to assimilate quickly in an emergency,
so they had to add analogue representations.

I provide what is called desensitisation training to aircrew who get sick in
the air (not ideal).  It entails 40 minutes sessions in a machine (a
disorientation trainer by AMST) spinning at increasing rates during which the
subject moves their head in each of four directions (the “Coriolis” effect).
The movement must take 5 seconds and the position is held for 15 seconds before
returning to the upright position.  It’s a miserable time for the subject but
my timing must be consistent.  I tried digital displays, but adding 5 and 15
repeatedly became quite tedious, so I started using an analogue display and it
became much easier (and less tiring for me).

The desensitisation programme works, by the way.  We don’t want the subject to
be sick, but we do want to push them close.  During the 4 week programme the
spin speed of the device is increased and we load the subject up with clothing
and sometimes their helmet.  By the end they will have become adapted to the
sensations and “desensitised”, but it requires a lot of work by the subject.

Chris