Re: [OM] Advice on OM 7 ??

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on OM 7 ??
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 22:17:48 -0800
VM writes:
<<If the Minolta Varisoft 85/2.8 isn't as good at zero softness setting as it
was on film, it doesn't matter.

I would bet that lens will be fine.

Of course. At 85 mm, this stack size stuff isn't an issue.

That is a very very  interesting lens and I hope you post some images with it.

My appetite for lens testing is limited. I had been testing the new Oly 12-100/4 Pro against various primes and zooms. I did mount the A7 and this lens and take one set of images wide open at various softness settings, but they are of a lens test target of little triads of bars.

I even have the 85/2 out, mounted for the A7, to shoot with the Nikon Soft filters, to compare to the Varisoft at the same FL and apertures. But that's at least 20 exposures with the Varisoft for combinations of aperture and Soft setting, and 18 with the 85/2. And my interest in shooting tests has waned for now. It'll be back, I imagine.

So, yes, it works and does interesting things as the softness ring is turned,
is about it so far.

I had been looking at it since Marnie used her Minolta cam in days of yore.
Jeff Keller had given me a couple Adaptall MD adapters so she could use our
Tammy lenses.  It is about the same price as when I first looked at it.

I took a flier on one with a BIN less than half the going rate, with this self-contradictory description, “"Excellent- Condition" [Optics] Inside of the lens is very clean and clear. *It has a tiny fungus but no affects of taking pictures. *It has a very slight haze but no affects of taking pictures. [Cosmetics] There are some tiny paint-off and scratches on the body but this item is clean. [Functions] It works properly. [Including] Front cap, Rear cap,”"

As it turns out, it's in better optical and physical condition than the description would suggest. I've got a couple of different wavelength UV flashlights I'm going to dose it with, so the fungus I'm not sure I see won't get any farther. In any case, I didn't buy it for tack sharp, aberration free images; quite the contrary. :-)

Aberrant Moose