Re: [OM] Off list - Mixed lighting

Subject: Re: [OM] Off list - Mixed lighting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 22:09:53 -0800
On 12/15/2016 2:32 PM, timhughes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Moose you are mixing up OTF film cameras like OM with digital non OTF cameras
that Phillipe was talking about here.

No, I thought I was clear that I was indulging in nostalgia for a system that worked so well. And wondering why no one seems to have conjured up a similar solution for digital.

Even for OM in case of T32 the problem is it only swivels vertically and it
cant do behind the photographer flash, is not raised off the camera etc ,which
is why I used to use other flashes for OM.

Our goals are/were different. I was taking casual pics of gatherings of people, what practically everyone does now with phones. I didn't want all that other stuff. There were other flashes that raised the head and worked with TTL-OTF, but I found I just liked the T32. Indoors in those days was almost always 8' white ceilings.

I was involved in industrial photography of a unique type, where we did use a big powerpack and four heads. I had a super old pro sales rep from the largest industrial photography supplier in the area to talk to, who was eager to help, lend gear, etc.

I saw how pros worked shoots for Annual Report covers. I was aware of all the options, just not interested in the trade-offs for my own casual shooting of family and friends gatherings.

  Any later Flash which has a sensor for doing Auto flash and a full swivel
head would work for Phillipe,I just cited the FL40 as an example that he might
have from the Oly E10 era.

Sure.

The main need for Philippe is a good range of auto aperture and asa settings
for the flash.

Yup.

I owned a 540ez when I owned Cannon gear and it was a fairly large unit

In part because it has power zoom, I think.

with complex menu if I remember right. It like many flashes I have owned did
not seem to have a particularly high efficiency inverter either and there is no
difference in efficiency of igbjt switchs versus old thyristor (T32) switches
for the tube.

You've gone off in techie land beyond my knowledge or interest. I don't honestly care about efficiency these days, with rechargeable, low self discharge Nimh batteries. The 540EZ could blast out enough light for distant shots @ 300mm and more than I needed close in @ 28 mm. I ask for no more.

The igbjt

I know you aren't joking, so I assume that's a real thing. The gobbledygook is
better, I think . . .

For my own flash use I do much less than I used to as sensors have improved,
but I still like fill flash always with an addon diffuser even when using the
very tiny system flash I always carry in my bag.

I'm sure you must take better flash pictures than I. But wait - I almost never use flash , so I must say instead that I"m sure you take better flash pics than I would, If I did.

My "fill flash" is PS.

Dr. No Flash