Re: [OM] OT: Concerns

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Concerns
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:24:10 +1100
Ouch !

...Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus
[mailto:olympus-bounces+wayne.harridge=structuregraphs.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
] On Behalf Of Ken Norton
Sent: Tuesday, 6 December 2016 10:38 AM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Sorry for the cost. I am curious: Is that an employer-provided plan or
> exchange-provided? The former isn't ACA (although must be, at minimum,
> ACA compliant), the latter is ACA.

Employer-provided. The package is so bad that the VP of HR got canned last
year as a result. Unfortunately, the new VP didn't fix it and it's even
worse. And for 2017, we made some adjustments to our own selection, so
family deductible is $12,000 before insurance kicks in a dime.

So, I just looked at my benefits information. As 2016 isn't complete yet, I
have to bop back to 2015 as a guide. The employer portion for health and
wellness was $14,651. My contribution was $4325. For 2016, my contribution
has increased to $6561. So, JUST for insurance, this family of four is
paying over $20,000 (yes, it's part of my pay package so I'm paying for it).
Our out-of-pocket, so far is almost
$5000 and not a dime of insurance has been paid yet, as we haven't even hit
a deductable.

I was careful not to count the HSA dollars in there as that's factored into
the out-of-pocket side of things.

So, yes, 2016 is on target to being a $25,000 medical cost year and
insurance hasn't paid one single dime. And we've been pretty healthy.

I'm not feeling too kindly at this moment. That congress made a big deal out
of some female college student who wanted free birth control pills makes me
a bit angry when I see how much I'm paying and getting nothing. The only way
to look at this is that we have catastrophic coverage and that's it.

AG