Re: [OM] Wyoming in August [was other stuff]

Subject: Re: [OM] Wyoming in August [was other stuff]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 15:51:29 -0600
> Perhaps not a timing belt, Jim, but there is a serpentine belt. Had that
> done recently on my CR-V and it was only around $100. Shouldn't be more
> than an order of magnitude more for a Bimmer.

DIY with genuine BMW parts. $33 plus tax.

Repairs and parts for the X5 have been only a fraction higher than for
the Jeeps. The main difference is that the Jeeps need things done to
them all the time, the X5s have been the most reliable and solid
vehicles I've ever owned. Even our Toyotas pale in comparison. Just as
a case-in-point, the original battery lived to something like two
weeks short of 12 years. Original brakes, only an occasional oil
change and tires. I did replace two bushings for the front sway bar.
The Audi we had was a pure disaster zone. Every three months,
$900-1200 in repairs. Never again will I have an Audi.

BMW did a very strange thing with the E53 X5. They made it reliable. I
suspect that they wanted to make sure that they didn't kill their
reputation with a dud of a vehicle, so they must have over-engineered
it. You look and look for the "common problems" with it, and there
just aren't any. An occasional water pump, hoses, stuff like that, but
other than wear-and-tear items, they're rolling cinder-blocks. The
second generation E70 has a few common issues, though. In the
migration to all-electric under-hood gizzards, not all components
survive as well. The only real problem item in the E53 was the 4.8L
engine, but that was a problem engine across the entire vehicle line.
Mine has the 4.4L engine and it just sits and idles unless I push the
speedometer into triple-digits.

AG