Re: [OM] LED Stage Lighting and UV

Subject: Re: [OM] LED Stage Lighting and UV
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 16:44:40 -0800
Never heard of UV filter helping but the experiment is not hard to do.  Seems
this should be a largely solvable issue.   (I am not an engineer and no nothing
about stage lights except  can confirm the photographic issues)  The power
spectral  distributions  of LED's are notoriously peaky and with valleys
despite the usual phosphors used.

As someone who knows nothing about this stuff, but what I've skimmed here, but
who is always willing to speculate ---

In addition to spectral distribution of the lights, and of external filters, aren't the filters in front of the monochrome sensels of the camera different between brands and within the same brand over time? Get all set for one's Nikon body, switch to Fuji, and have it all go south?

Wouldn't it be simpler, and likely more accurate, to use color reference standards? At least for folks like AG and Paul, wouldn't it be possible to photograph standards upon stage, before the show, at intermission, at rehearsal? IT8 target, ColorChecker, even a gray card?

Bribe the costumers to include a pure white or neutral gray in the costumes of the leads? A prop guy to include something? Backdrop?

Not going to do much good when colored spots are used - but those are supposed
to look funny colored, no? :-)

Personally, I've been pretty happy with the few stage shots I've taken, but
that's just for my entertainment and memories.

Color Me Unbalanced Moose