Re: [OM] OT: high-end compacts?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: high-end compacts?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 20:34:12 -0800
On 11/8/2016 2:14 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
You zoom with your legs.

No, You, Nathan, and others who share your photographic proclivities, may zoom with your legs. I, Moose, am able do so only in a very limited way.

As Mike says, there are many, many circumstances where I find this not to be physically possible. There are also perspectives, extraction of a small part of the visual field, either distant or macro, and so on, that I very much value, but which simply cannot be done by moving in/out with a modest WA lens.

Your photographic style is part of a long and distinguished tradition, you do it well, and I enjoy following your photographic travels. But it's not mine, and a simple technique that works for you doesn't for me.

You make lovely casual portraits in traditional ways. I like to do different things. I find this portrait of Marnie beautiful, visually compelling and conveying something of her nature that my other, more conventional portraits of her miss. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21064>

Could I have called to her to wait, run over to her and taken a shot with her hair blowing in the wind? Sure, but then the Monetesque background would become conventional ocean. And the shot would not be used.

This is a far more mundane example, but as it happens I shot at both a FL close to the GR II, as well as with the long lens. Here's the view from a hiking trail up above Gloucester, MA harbor with the angle of view of the GR II. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21067>

Here's a shot from the same spot @ 600 mm eq.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21070>

No, not a world beater, but one I processed for myself, and enjoy, as it gives a great overview of an area I've visited and photographed up close. I also took a shot I very much like from that breakwater with FF 5D and - yup - a 600/8 lens - of a schooner with the Boston skyline in the background. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2009/Massachusetts&image=_MG_7329_n.jpg>

With the ~43 mm eq. FOV of the GR II, the sailboat would be a speck, and the
skyline rumor.

Also on the breakwater in 2009 (FL 237 mm), another 'portrait' of Marnie. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2009/Massachusetts&image=_MG_7354ia.jpg>

Zoooooom Moose