Re: [OM] ZuikoFest 2017 - Eclipse

Subject: Re: [OM] ZuikoFest 2017 - Eclipse
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 13:51:38 -0600
So my tentative plan is to arrive on Tuesday, August 15, or Wednesday,
August 16 and stake out a camping spot up on Shadow Mountain. I'll
then stay put there until probably Tuesday, August 22. Might have to
jockey around a bit as camping spots open and close up. Chances are,
I'll head quite a ways up the mountain. If I can get a place staked
out (no guarantees), I'll gladly share it with all other Zuikoholics.
It's a typical National Forest road with enough roughness that a
typical car will clunk a bit on the rocks, but any SUV/Truck will do
fine without breaking a sweat. If it means getting to an ideal spot,
I'll gladly risk dinging the X5 to do it, but from everything I've
been reading, it shouldn't be a problem.

What I'll do is plant my tent there and day-trip all around the Tetons
and maybe up into Yellowstone, as well as across the state line into
Idaho. Gotta bag my 48th state. A good solid week playing
"photographer" in the mountains sounds like a plan to me. There are
worse places to be than the Tetons.

The target spot I've decided to use as my starting point is:

LAT: 43.712
LON: -110.586
Altitude: 8000 feet, give or take.

By arriving days early, I can spend time finding shooting locations,
as well as just shoot. This spot is within the PoT, and will give
views to the right and to the left of landscape NOT within totality.
Should be an unique spot. I'm developing a list of backup locations
just in case Shadow Mountain is a no-go.

Yes, I'll have at least one camera pointed at the sky, but that's a
case of whatever I can do, somebody else will do better. It's the
landscape itself that is going to be unique.

Who's in?

AG