Re: [OM] ZuikoFest 2017 - Eclipse

Subject: Re: [OM] ZuikoFest 2017 - Eclipse
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 10:31:17 -0500
> I'm in if you do another and am willing to car pool from Texas if that would
> help anyone.

So, several thoughts:
1. Isle Royale Redux. Involves hiking and kayaking/canoeing/camping.
(lake kayaking, not river kayaking).
2. Keeweenaw Peninsula of Michigan, Copper Country. From Porcupine
Mountains to Copper Harbor. Joel and I have cased this out quite
extensively. Forest Fires are optional.
3. Eclipse 2017 - Somewhere in the Rockies.
4. Boundary Waters. Canoeing/camping.
5. ????

As to the Eclipse 2017, I've been melting down Google Earth, TPE,
national forest maps and what not for working up angles, subjects and
activities. I did locate one spot in Idaho of interest, but I've also
found a VERY intriguing spot around Jackson that could be it. While
most people will be in the valley, there is another picture
opportunity that is looking interesting that would require trail
hiking. Of course, the Snake River Overlook would be another given.
It's just north of dead center (Teton Village is almost perfectly
centered), I am thinking about compositions.

Forget about accommodations. Everything has been booked solid for
three years. BYOB (bring your own bed. And bicycle).

The Moose would rather go someplace with fewer people and I would
normally agree. But this is one of those once-in-a-lifetime things
that might encourage me to actually be around crowds for a day.
Especially since I've got a location or two staked out for a lock-down
camera placed many miles away. I've also got the hankering to buy a
drone capable of hoisting a DSLR.

But anyway, we can make a Zuikofest out of anything, doesn't need to
be the eclipse. I'm just letting you know what my plans are. It's
either Wyoming or Idaho for me.

I've got 4+ weeks of vacation a year, now, so it's not like this is a
one-shot deal for me like it was 10 years ago.

AG Schnozz