Re: [OM] Departed friend

Subject: Re: [OM] Departed friend
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 16:47:19 -0000
This is, indeed, stunning news - I had noticed the esteemed (really, truly)
Chuck had posted less frequently of late, but it never occurred to me that
he might have been ill. I too had the great pleasure of meeting Chuck on his
visit to London five years ago. Not just meeting, but spending the weekend
while Peg was off to Paris. Chris Barker had intended to join us, but was
unable to for family reasons, and Chuck's after-the-event message to Chris
included the following lines:

"I do wish you had been able to make it but, of course, perfectly understand
why you weren't able to do so.  ... Piers and I ... could have gone on an on
in conversation about most anything at all.  It seems we both have many
funny and sometimes insightful stories from the past to which I'm sure you
could have added at least an equal measure.  We did precious little
photography but had a wonderful time. "

Yup, that was my recollection even before I found that old email - we spent
so long just chatting that we never talked about cameras, and just about the
only photography of the whole weekend was by a stranger in the Princess
Louise pub:
http://www.hemy.me.uk/Miscellany/Chuck_n_I_9Jul2011.jpg

Chuck was not just a huge asset to this list, on flash, on diffraction, on
disk operating systems, etc etc. He was also a damned fine chap to know.
What a sad and untimely loss.

"So he passed over, and all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side."

Piers