Re: [OM] Just Concerned About You

Subject: Re: [OM] Just Concerned About You
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 09:06:27 -0400
I'm a bit over 4 miles from the beach. AFAIK the eyewall passed over us. Fortunately, it was only Cat 1 at that time and not the Cat 2 expected when it was predicted to be further away. This was the 2nd Cat 1 where I've been in the eye (first on Long Island). But I can tell you that being 35 miles away from a Cat 4 is a hell of a lot worse (Andrew 1992). :-)

I was protected by my hurricane panels but I'm not aware of any of my neighbors who didn't have them getting impact damage from debris. There are, however, a couple of houses which sustained roof and other damage from falling pine trees and a couple where the damage was limited to fences. We have a large, dead pine tree in a wetland area not too far from the house and I was concerned it might decide to topple. The tree is still standing but large sheets of its bark are now in my yard.

But even during Andrew in Florida in 1992 I think we were only without power for about 3 hours. 32 hours is enough for me to think about getting a portable generator as some of my neighbors already have.

ps: Thanks for your concern, Jim. I'm copying this to the list as my "I'm OK report"

Chuck Norcutt