Re: [OM] OT: Web site host

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Web site host
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 16:28:05 -0700
Thanks to all who replied so far.

Mike, my situation in a Seattle suburb is a bit different from yours on the island. My current ISP was founded by a former university SysAdmin colleague. I've been using them for 18 years. They are a Century Link provider. They started offering individuals and small businesses more for their money than the big providers did. In 1998, for one reasonable fee, I got 1.5 M DSL, a Web site, email, spam filtering and UNIX shell access. Eventually they sold the business. The current owners have changed direction, emphasizing small-to-medium sized businesses services. They have kept individual users like me, but will not offer me any higher speed. Nor can I keep my site or email if I go elsewhere.

Century Link only offers up to 3.0 Mbps DSL on the phone lines in my area. They have a growing fiber infrastructure in some neighborhoods in Seattle proper. My neighborhood doesn't appear to be in their plans for the foreseeable future. Judging from the amount of junk mail I get from them, they have decided that marketing is more important than actually delivering speed. I could upgrade to 3.0 M, but why bother? That's still too slow to warrant upsetting all the other arrangements.

Comcast, which I do not love, is the only other alternative where I live. I used to have what they called Expanded Basic cable, which was approximately what they call now their 220+ channel tier--pretty much everything except HBO, Showtime, etc. The price of that slowly rose over the years, with most of the good channels unbundled to a higher tier. When my price exceeded $70/month, I said "Enough!" and downgraded to the most basic cable service.

But Comcast uses its own cable infrastructure for Internet. They have packages that offer far faster speeds than 25 Mbps (75 and 150). I'm not interested in those because those speeds were probably measured once at 2:00 am and are not worth the premium. Besides, I don't do video games or have 6 people streaming video simultaneously. It's just my wife and me. I just want to be able to stream a movie now and then, and download a notch or two faster than I can now. Comcast offers "limited basic" cable plus 25 Mbps for $70/month. If I get rid of my current ISP and Century-Link DSL, I just about break even on that. Even if I only get 10 or even 5 Mbps during prime time, that's still a vast improvement. Certainly worth buying a cable modem.

Frankly, I dislike doing business with the digital version of Sleazy Joe's Used Cars, the home of Bait and Switch, where even the sticker prices are imaginary. But they are the only game in town. I pushed their keyboard chat representative for the cost once the introductory rate expires. I had to ask several time, but eventually he told me that the current, non-promotion rate for my package is $74. That's OK. I have saved the chat session. If they jack the price up drastically, I'll just have to gird my loins, negotiate with them, and avoid screaming obscenities. :-)

If you know something I don't, or if there's something wrong with my reasoning, please let me know.

--Peter

>> Comcast can offer me 25 Mbps

> Peter, If Comcast is using the same wire as 19thCenturyLink how do you know that Comcast can really push 25 mbps?

> I am getting impossible pie-in-the-sky offers all of the time. @ 13,000' out this rusty wire can support 4mbps no matter who's selling.

> First thing I would do is to ask the neighbors. And you may need a new modem too.

Mike