Re: [OM] OT: Possible Bad Weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Possible Bad Weather
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 08:01:35 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I'm finally able to look at TS Matthew on the OKMET Storm Tracker website:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/storm-tracker/#?tab=map&stormId=14L&stormName=MATTHEW

They do have problems on occasion, especially with the track forecast failing
to load.  Anyway, their track prediction is much further east than that of
NOAA/NHC.  UKMET has it passing over central Haiti, whereas NOAA/NHC has it
passing over eastern Cuba.  This probably won't get sorted out until this
weekend.

>     It's now Tropical Storm Matthew:
>
>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/204348.shtml?5day#contents
>
>     The 5-day track is consistent with the GFS forecast of yesterday.  It is
> forecast to reach hurricane strength tomorrow.  That's pretty quick, going
> from a disturbance to a depression to a tropical storm to a hurricane in two
> days.  It will reach category 2 on Sunday before crossing eastern Cuba.
>
>     GFS shows it being in the NYC area next Friday.
>

>>  Thanks for the update, Chris. I'm keeping a close eye on this one. Hoping
>>for just a brush along the coast.
>>
>>Charlie
>>
>>On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 9:02 PM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>      I'm watching a growing tropical cyclone that is soon to pass over the
>>> Windward Islands.  Long term GFS forecasts show this storm passing over
>>> Haiti and far eastern Cuba on Sunday, then over the Bahamas on Monday and
>>> Tuesday.  It will reach Cape Hatteras on Friday.
>>>
>>>      Now comes the fun part.  A moderate teardrop low will develop over
>>> the Midweat on Thursday.  It will meet the tropical storm late Friday, and
>>> the two will merge.
>>>
>>>      Now for more fun.  An area of high pressure will develop over Nova
>>> Scotia and New Foundland on Friday, which will push the combined storm
>>> systems westward.  This is similar to TS Sandy.
>>>
>>>      The storm will pass over New York City on Saturday, then move
>>> northward to Ontario.  The moisture profile is troublesome.
>>>
>>>      This is a bit of a stretch, but it deserves watching.
>>

>Chris
>
>When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
>     - Hunter S. Thompson

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson